Trusted products from an unbiased culinary critic. All “nourishing” products have proven health benefits, whether it be high fiber for satiation and digestive aid, maximum antioxidants, or essential vitamins and minerals, these recommendations will help you nourish your body. You won’t see a product or brand that isn’t tasty, healthy, and environmentally aware.
Kaniwa- South American grain, really tasty, super high in iron (60%), high protein and decent fiber too.
Quinoa-Another South American grain, same as above, not as much iron (18%).
Farro- According to Laura Weiss, Farro originated in the Fertile Crescent, found in tombs of Egyptian kings, and is said to have fed the Roman Legions. There are many varieties of Farro, read more here.
- Racconto Whole Wheat Penne Rigate- This one is the best tasting of the brand. I’ve had the Bella Terra Organic line of Racconto, (gemelli, fettucini, and rigatoni form), I love those types of pasta, but they taste too sweet with hints of cinnamon so I do not recommend them, unless that is to your taste.
- Hodgson Mill Organic Whole Grain Fettuccine with Milled Flax Seed - Great nutty, grainy flavor and aldente texture. , providing 500 mg. of heart-healthy Omega-3 oils per serving. The delicious new Lasagna pasta noodles, like the other varieties, are made from only 100% whole grain durum wheat, are certified organic, preservative and additive free, and contain no added sugar, artificial coloring, flavorings or salt
- Delallo 100% Organic Whole Wheat Orecchiette, the whole wheat lasagna is also very tasty.
- Eden Organic Pasta Company- Kamut Ditalini, tasty, great shape and flavor, high fiber and protein.
- Garofalo Whole Wheat Pappardelle- Delicious nests of fat, satisfyingly scrumptiously fresh whole wheat pasta imported from Italy.
- Glorioso’s Home Style Whole Wheat Linguini- Fiber, iron, protein oh my! Plus, the taste is wonderful.
Wheat/Gluten-Free Healthy Pasta:
- Jardin Bio Spaghetti Quinoa Tomate - Outstanding flavor, cooks fast.
- Tinkyada Pasta Joy Brown Rice Spinach Spaghetti- Delightful. Takes a bit longer to cook, but so tasty and chewy, it’s worth it! Easy to cook it aldente.
- Explore Asian Authentic Cuisine- Organic Mung Bean Fetuccine, and Organic Soybean Spaghetti are awesome.
- Sea Tangle Kelp Noodles- Really nice to mix into soup or other flavorful dishes as a pasta alternative. Kelp are high in calcium and also a source of iron.
- Lundberg Organic Brown Rice Rotini- Cooks well and tastes just like pasta.
- De Boles Gluten free Multi-grain Penne- Made with rice, quinoa, and amaranth. Chewy and tasty, great flavor that isn’t sweet or overwhelming. I’ve read that the spaghetti falls apart when cooking, but I haven’t tried that variation and I didn’t have any problem with the penne. Maybe they were cooked improperly…?
Gluten-Free Pizza Crust:
- Chebe Gluten-free Pizza Flour Crust Mix- Delicious By Nature. Very excellent flavor.
Healthy Whole Wheat Couscous:
- Bob’s Red Mill® Whole Wheat Pearl Couscous - Awesomely satisfying, high fiber and protein, great texture, tasty when cooked aldente.
- Victoria Marinara, all natural
- Carmelina Brands® San Marzano Italian Chopped Tomatoes or tomato Puree- Excellent for making fast, fresh sauce with minimal ingredients. Salt, pepper, basil, delicious.
- Trader Joe’s has great sauce for very reasonable prices! Try the Tomato Basil Marinara.
Whole Wheat Pizza Dough:
- Angelic Bakehouse- Flatzza, sprouted seven-grain 12″ crust. Two pack with loads of great ingredients and nutrients.
- Trader Giotto’s Ready to Bake Whole Wheat Pizza Dough- High fiber, protein, and iron. Low fat. Delicious. May be purchased at Trader Joe’s. Also received a tip to cook it in the oven as you prep ingredients, then add toppings and sauce and then bake to perfection.
- Wood Grilled Pizza Crust- All Natural Wheat
- Pastorelli Pizza Crust- Roman pizzeria style pizza crust ultra thin and crispy 100% whole wheat. Iron, fiber and protein, plus only 2.5 grams of fat per serving.
High Fiber Whole Grain Breads:
Whenever possible, I choose a quality nutritarian bread based on this criteria: ingredients I know, no sugar or sweetener (tough to find), 3 grams or more of fiber and protein, & of course great taste. If you don’t initially think you like whole grain bread, try a new brand and remember tastebuds can change.
1. Manna Organics Manna Bread Millet Rice- 100% sprouted whole grain, high fiber, 9 grams of sugar, yet no sugar listed in ingredients.
- Ezekiel 4:9 Sprouted Grain Tortillas
- Ezekiel Sprouted 7 Grain Bread
- Genesis 1:29 Sprouted Grain and Seed (a favorite)
6. Trader Joe’s:
- Whole Wheat Pita Bread Pockets- Ingredients: whole wheat, water, yeast, barley malt, salt, cultured wheat flour with vinegar. High fiber, iron, & protein. Low in calories and fat. All natural and recognizable ingredients. Tasty and easy snack ideas: stuff with almond slices, peanut butter, or avocado and salmon for satiation, energy, & stamina.
- Pumpernickel Pretzels. Delicious.
- Sprouted Wheat, & Rye: The best tasting and most economical on the market hands down. Freshness can at times be inconsistent.
- Raw Whole Wheat pizza dough- The best. Bake for 5 minutes at least prior to adding ingredients for best results.
7. Sanabel Bakery- Fresh Whole Wheat Lebanese Pita Bread, a Chicago company, five ingredients. Great slightly baked or grilled.
8. Natural Ovens Bakery Sunny Millet Whole Grain- Millet is a super food, this bread has 250 mg Omega 3 per slice, as well as fiber, protein. The down side: it has sugar listed as the sixth ingredient, contains ascorbic acid and dextrose.
9. Flat out Foldit 5 Grain Flax- Artisan flatbreads, healthy, tasty.
10. 100% Whole Wheat Boboli Italian Pizza Crust (some sugar added) still better than most, good price too. (Target) Whole Foods now has these available, I haven’t taste tested yet.
11. Delba Whole Grain Three Grain Bread- Especially tasty toasted. Great nutritionally.
12. Stone House Bread- The Charnushka Rye is incredibly yummy.
13. Big Sky Bread- Borodinsky Coriander Malt Dark Rye. I love coriander! Best toasted. A little sweet.
Tasty Gluten-free Wraps
Rudi’s Spinach Tortilla Wraps (Whole Foods)- Expensive @ almost $7, but nice creamy spinach taste and while they’re filled with nutritious ingredients, they still have some other random ingredients that aren’t great.
Healthy, Tasty Wraps
Ole Xtreme Wellness, Spinach & Tomato Basil- High fiber; 9g, protein; 5g, and iron; 40%. Zero grams of fat.
Sami’s Bakery Millet & Flax Lavash- So tasty and super healthy, check out all of the great ingredients! Best toasted or baked for several minutes in the oven.
Engine 2 Plant-Strong- Sprouted Ancient Grains. Organic tortillas
Tasty Gluten-free Tortillas
La Tortilla Factory Hand Made White Corn Tortillas. Healthy and delicious, not a good source of fiber, but low fat, 5g of protein.
Healthiest, Tastiest Snack Bars:
- gnufoods Fiber Love Banana walnut- so good, low fat 4g, sugar, 8, fiber 9 protein 4. Reiterating the so tasty!
- Go Macro Granola + Coconut Macrobar- vegan, 7 g. fat, 11 g. sugar, less than many cliff bars
- Bobo Bars- Tasty, organic, slightly high in sugar, hearty.
- Pop Culture Probiotics- 1 small bar=110 calories, 2 g. fat, 4 sugars, 6 g. protein, an abundance of vitamins and minerals.
- Cliff Kids brownie and chocolate chip- A tasty treat (better than oreos), yet still high in sugar with 10 grams, but not as bad as some bars and lower in fat as well. Satisfying for a sweet tooth after a hard workout. 69 cents at Trader Joe’s.
- no gii Protein D’Lites- Gluten free and really tasty, lots of sugar on the ingredient list, only 7 g in a serving though. 8 g protein and 4% calcium.
- Luna Bar Nuts Over Chocolate- Delicious and satisfies chocolate cravings.
- Entirely Gnu Natural Foods- High fiber and iron. 9 grams of sugar. Tastes like a brownie.
- Health Warrior Chia Bar- Chocolate peanut butter. Tasty and mini. 4 grams of fat, 4 grams sugar, protein, and fiber.
- NuGo Stronger Carmel Pretzel- Oh God. It’s such a great sweet and salty combination. It’s a bit high in fat at 8 g with 25 g protein and it is solid, as in hard to bite into it’s so dense, but once you get at it, it gets chewier. Plus it’s delicious, and things you have to work for are more rewarding in the end anyway. Gluten free.
- Monkey Bars- High in sugar, but chocolate is super good. Strawberry was good too.
- Bonk Breakers Peanut Butter and Jelly- Totally tastes like a PBJ, that you didn’t have to make.
- Mark Bar Almond Butter Honey- Oo so good! Healthy,unique, totally delicious, and made by a Chicago local.
- Go Raw-%100 Organic, Banana Bread Flax Bar. So yummy. Real live food!
- Gnu Foods Fiber Love- Banana walnut flavor is awesome, chocolate brownie was good too.
- SMART Detour Bar- Tasty, low sugar, low fat, high protein and fiber.
- Nature’s Path Organic: Flax Plus Muti-bran Cereal, Heritage Heirloom Whole Grains, & Smart Bran with Psyllium and Oatbran. All are made with organic superfood ingredients. Low in sugar and fat and high fiber and iron content.
- Kashi 7 Whole Grain Nuggets- Better than Post Grape Nuts, similar nutrients
- Farm to Table Ultimate Organic Whole Grain Oatmeal- Creamy and delicious, high fiber: 5g, and protein: 6g, flax and nuts, yet no sugar!
- Steel Cut Oats with Flax Better Oats Oat Revolution- Classic flavor, 10 pouches. Delicious!
- Glutenfreeda Natural Instant Oatmeal- Great tasting and you’ll pay half as much as the Farm to Table brand.
- Gluten Free Chex Oatmeal- Incredibly delicious.
- Three Sisters Naked Wheat- Everything a cereal should be, tasty, high fiber, protein and carbs, low fat, 100% whole grain nothing fake added. (Whole Foods)
- Alpen All Natural Muesli, no sugar added. Tastes yummy.
- Renaissance Grains Whole Grain Harmony- Oats, Barley, wheat. Really tasty plain, add to granola, or for cooking/baking.
- Engine 2 Plant-Strong- Rip’s Big Bowl Banana Walnut. So great, has ground flax seed instead of the whole pieces that can’t deliver the nutrition.
- Better Oats Raw- Steel cut and regular, individually packed or large, so fantastic and organic.
- Love Grown Power O’s- Tastes a little different, but better nutrition; made with beans and brown rice.
Crunchy, Salty Healthier Snacks:
- Golden Emblem Abound- CVS’s new healthy line. Baked Rice Crisps, sea salt flavor. Tasty snack.
- Trader Joe’s Pumpernickel Pretzels. Great flavor, dry and salty craving satisfier.
- Roland Feng Shui Hot Wasabi Rice Crackers
- Unique Sprouted %100 Whole Grain Pretzel Splits
- Lundberg Organic, Gluten-Free, Vegan Rice Cakes (Whole Foods) Delicious with fresh ground almond butter. My favorites are the Sesame Tamari and Lightly Salted Brown Rice. No GMO!
- San-J Tamari Black Sesame Brown Rice Crackers - Delicious, unique, gluten-free.
- Newman’s Own Organics Spelt Pretzels (Whole Foods) Ingredients: Organic spelt flour, spelt flour, organic sunflower oil, salt, yeast, and sodium bicarbonate. Nutrition information: Serving Size: about 20 pretzels (30g), Calories per Serving: 120, Calories from fat: 10, Total Fat: 1g (saturated fat: 0gm), Cholesterol: 0mg, Sodium: 240mg, Total Carbohydrates: 23g (dietary fiber: 4g, sugars: 0g), Protein: 4g
- Uncle Jerry’s Whole Wheat Handmade Pretzels- Ingredients: whole wheat flour, sourdough, well water, yeast, soda, salt. Calories per Serving: 80, Calories from fat: 0, total fat: 0g (saturated fat: 0gm), cholesterol: 0mg, sodium: 260mg, total carbohydrates: 18g dietary fiber: 3g, sugars: 0g, protein: 2g
- Leksands Multigrain Swedish Crispbread- All natural ingredients, tasty with creative toppings such as avocado and tomatoes. Extremely satisfying crunch.
- Trader Joe’s Rye Mini Toasts- Very tasty, pretty pure, has fiber, iron, and protein, plus low fat.
- Annie Chun’s Roasted Wasabi Seaweed Snacks - Way better than chips, easy to polish of a whole bag and not feel guilty. Under $2 at Whole Foods.
- Trader Joe’s Roasted Seaweed Snacks- $0.99: Seaweed, canola oil, sesame oil, sea salt. Calories: 30 Fat: 2g Fiber: 1g Vitamin A: 8% Iron: 2%
- Lesser Evil Dill Pickle Chia Crisps- Gluten Free, lower fat, higher fiber and protein. Made with black bean powder and rice flour. Feta and black olive flavor is also outstanding. The Chia Pop Theater Style is super tasty and made with organic Non-Gmo popcorn!
- Popcorners- Better nutritionals, flavor and ingredients than chips.
- Koepsell’s White Rice Popcorn- fiber, salt, and flavor.
- Finn Crisp Caraway thin crispbread with sourdough rye cracker- Satisfying, healthy, all recognizable ingredients, no sugar. However, not exactly sure why there is a discrepancy between label nutrition and online nutrition facts.
- World Peas- Bombay curry- Too good to not eat the entire pack. All natural greatness.
- Good Health Natural Foods Half Naked Popcorn- Super tasty and pretty healthy with 4g fiber and 3 g protein, 3 grams of fat for 4 cups as a serving size.
- Super Seeds Somewhat Spicy- All natural gourmet pumpkin seeds. Be aware, all flavors of this brand are not created equally. The spicy pumpkin seeds.
- La Panzanella Croccantini- Whole Wheat
- Suzie’s puffed peppered sea salt spelt and multigrain thin cakes-Tasty, crunchy, fat free.
- Suzie’s Thin Cakes- Corn, quinoa, sesame. So tasty.
- Wild Harvest Organic Multi-Seed Flat Breads-Really great flavor and texture, iron and protein content is satisfactory.
- ak-mak Sesame Crackers- Made with organically grown whole wheat flour. Oh so tasty plus a source of fiber, iron, and protein. Yummy and healthy.
- The Perfect Snaque- Seasoned Sprouted Lentils. Soooo good.
- Real Foods Organic Sesame Corn Thins – Delicious. Airy and crispy. Regular organic corn thins, great too.
- Red Pepper Foods- Corn Chips. Raw, vegan, & yummy. 6 grams of fat, 8 fiber, 6 protein, and 40% iron if you eat the entire bag, a serving would be half.
- Capperi Croccanti La Nicchia Pantelleria- Crunchy Capers! Nice as a salad topping.
- Enlightened Crisps- Roasted Sea Salt Broad Beans are so delicious high protein and fiber, low fat. Non-GMO and vegan!
Sweet Healthy Snacks:
- All organic fruits.
- Tamarind fruit (raw produce) – chewy and tart, fun to separate pulp from the large smooth seeds. (raw)
- Just Bananas, 100% Natural Fruit & Veggie Snacks, From the Heart of Nature
- Nature’s All Foods Organic Fair Trade Certified Banana- Sweet, raw, vegan, gluten-free
- Southern Grove Pitted Dried Plums/Prunes- Found at Aldi, very inexpensive, high sugar, yet lots of potassium fiber, and antioxidants.
- Paleo People Cacao Nut- Gluten-Free, super delicious.
- Milk & Honey Granola- Rick Bayless’s Mexican Mix. A local Chicago buy too!
Besides farmers’ Markets the best tasting and freshest produce is found at Whole Foods Organic Valley being the creme de la creme; meaning every time I have their eggs, or greens, they taste like they were just laid/picked. Super fresh! While Whole Foods does not always have the best prices, organic quality food does make a difference, not only in flavor, but in sustainability practices, and nutritional content of the produce. For me, the expense can be easily rationalized since as consumers, we are taking a stance by where we allocate our funds.
Golden Berries-Organic, loaded with vitamin A, also has iron, and protein.
Go Raw Spirulina Chips- 100% organic and satisfies a sweet tooth with a crunch.
Red Pepper Foods- Corn Chips. Raw, vegan, & yummy. 6 grams of fat, 8 fiber, 6 protein, and 40% iron if you eat the entire bag, a serving would be half.
Himalania Antioxidant Goji Berries
Super Foods/ Healthy Cooking Ingredients:
Nutritional Benefits of Sea Vegetable
Miso ginger broth- Trader Joe’s Brand
Alessi Traditional Spaccarelli Sicilian Split Pea Soup- Add extra veggies (cauliflower) to make it even healthier and more filling.
Fig Foods- Soup. Yum.
Buckeye Beans and Herbs- Nothing but beans herbs and spices. Simple & delicious.
Crofter’s Organic SuperFruit- Whole Foods, Trader Joe’s
Gluten Free meals-
Cooksimple Tibetan Dal- Tasty, fast, easy complete meal when adding fresh spinach, cherry tomatoes. Serve over TJ’s sprouted rye.
Fage Greek Yogurt, Plain is the best in terms of sugar content and adding fresh nutrients (fruit, nuts, healthy granola)
Wallaby Greek Low Fat Yogurt- Plain for healthiest choice. It’s the best tasting and they have Kiefer now too!
Organic Valley Plain Live Low-fat Yogurt Probiotics & Inulin- Calories: 110 Fat: 2.5 Saturated Fat: 1.5 Cholesterol: 20mg Sodium: 100mg Potassium: 400mg Total Carbohydrate 13g, Dietary Fiber: 2g Sugars: 11g Protein: 8g and many more healthy nutrients.
Coconut Yogurt- Plain is so decedent. High in fat and saturated fat, so better as a treat or monitored within the RDI food plate/pyramid guidelines.
Green Valley Organics-Lactose Free low fat yogurt. Delicious. Especially with fresh dipped grapefruit.
Nostimo- Plain nonfat Greek yogurt. Another really tasty brand.
Roundy’s Greek Yogurt- From Mariano’s. Super tasty, lowest sugar, and so inexpensive!
Trader Joe’s Vegetable Masala Burger with Authentic Indian Spices- Tasty, higher in fat.
Sol Cuisine- Mushroom Rice Burger. Tasty. Especially with spicy ketchup, yellow mustard, and fresh spinach leaves.
Amy’s California Veggie Burger- So yummy. All great organic vegetable and grain ingredients.
Dr. Praeger’s Veggie Burgers- California, Bombay (great with Nori paper), and Tex Mex (spicy with great flavor).
Hillary’s Eat Well Black Rice Burger- These are the best veggie burgers I know, so delicious, you can tell this company cares about good food and the environment too.
Engine 2 Veggie Burgers
Carmelina Brands® Beans - Great quality, very tasty and lower sodium than most.
Baresi Lupini Beans- Best I’ve had.
Betty Lou’s Just Great Stuff, Powdered Natural Peanut Butter- 50 calories, 8 grams of protein, and 1 gram of fat in the 2 T. serving size.
Cream Nut Peanut Butter- Made with highest grade Virginia Peanuts, great quality, they taste the best!
Parkers Crunchy Peanut Butter- All natural, delightfully tasteful, and nothing but peanuts and salt. Also, it is the cheapest peanut butter at Whole Foods, slightly hidden in the refrigerator section.
Better off Spread- Jalapeño Peanut Butter. Ohh soo Good, even has a little crunch to it without being chunky.
P2B- 85% less fat than regular peanut butter. No added preservatives.
Naturally Nutty- Pepita seed, flax, chia and oatmeal seed butter. No added sugar and 5 grams less fat than regular. Very tasty.
Wildwood sprouted tofu- Healthiest I’ve found. Fairly priced.
Best Cholesterol Free Vegan Cheese Alternatives:
Almond Jalapeno Jack Style- Healthy cheese alternative. Low fat, cholesterol, GMO, preservative and lactose free. Super tasty.
Daiya pepper jack shreds
Go Veggie! Mozzarella shreds
Kaas Soy Mozzarella Flavor Soy Block- Sweeter than normal cheese, but melts well and is very creamy and satisfying.
Coltswold English Cheese- Made with onion and chives for a fantastic flavor, this one is worth every bad for your bite. Recommended for friends and special occasions. A second reference, just because I like this cheesy site.
An all natural protein powder that is loaded with superfood ingredients. The shakeology founders researched and visited the places and people from which each ingredient was derived. They have a vegan flavor now too. They taste delicious. I combine the chocolate shakeology mix with my oatmeal in the morning and it tastes like I’m eating a fudgey brownie! The green berry flavor, when mixed with oatmeal, tastes like a fruity, kid-like dinosaur oatmeal I have tried as a child. I never eat the flavorful oatmeals on the market due to their abundance of artificial flavoring, coloring, and sugar. Shakeology has 1 gram of fat and only 9 grams of sugar while being protein, nutrient and fiber rich. Check out the nutritious shakes page for other creative recipes!
Gold Standard 100% Whey Protein- Cake Batter Flavor- The best flavor, some questionable ingredients.
Vega One Nutritional Shake- Tasty when combined with Shakeology and has probiotics.
Almased- Synergy diet. Tastes great adds protein.
Del Destino Hearts of Palm- So buttery and delightful. Great superfood addition to salads and even fun to just snack on plain.
Gia Russa Hearts of Palm-YUM. Another great brand.
Carmelina e’ San Marzano- Organic, chopped, and whole peeled. Delightful even straight out of the can. Preservative free. No added sugar or salt. Authentic Italian tomatoes. Chef preferred. The most legitimate company of all the tomato brands, ask anyone who knows about this topic and the competitors.
Benjamin Twiggs- Sweet Cherry Salsa tastes great on a sandwich! The Black Bean and Corn Salsa was really good as well.
H.J. Harvest Juicery- Unpasteurized coconut water. Chicago based using local and organic ingredients. Yummy.
Harmless Harvest 100% Raw Organic Coconut Water- The best, identifiable by it’s neon green cap.
Fresh young virgin coconuts- Aroma Young (Whole Foods)
Bragg- Apple cinnamon vinegar and vinegar ginger were lowest sugar and super tasty.
Chicago RAW- Coconut water. YUM.
Naked Coconut Water, it’s okay, if none of the above are available.
Cocoa Via- This cocoa extract is fantastic! Plenty of plant based flavanols provide beneficial phytonutrients for health.
MetroMint Water- Spearmint and chocolate are so tasty, refreshing, real.
Lily of the Desert Aloe H2O- Mango peach. Delicious. 6 grams of sugar. Made with aloe water.
Cactus Water by Cailwater- Prickly Pear Superfruit. Good & unique flavor. 7 grams of sugar. Small percentages of Potassium, calcium, & iron.
Capitol Teas- Roasted Almond flavor is ever so delicious.
Coconut Oolong tea
Tea Forte Single Steeps- Skin-Smart antioxidant amplifier- Superbly fresh and unique flavors.
Gold Kili- All natural ginger tea- Super fresh and even cream and spicy from the fresh ginger
GTS Classic Organic RAW KOMBUCHA- All flavors are low sugar and delicious, especially the green tea and the ginger variety.
Kevita Sparkling Probiotic Drink -Daily Cleanse Lemon Cayenne, love it. The Mojito is also fabulous. I want to get this on tap.
REED’S Culture Club- Hibiscus Ginger Grapefruit Kombuch Organic and Raw: YUM!
Indulgences, use in moderation-
Dark Chocolate Indulgences (that have proven health benefits of course! ) 70% dark and above and only in moderation. Read more: Healthy justification for dark chocolate.
- Dagoba Dark Chocolate chili and superfruit, and xocolatl with chilies & nibs flavors with 74% cacao percentages were ohh so tasty. (Whole Foods)
- Equal Exchange Organic & fairly traded extra 80% cacao dark chocolate from Panama- Delicious.
- Nib Mor 80% Dark Chocolate with Nibs organic and fairly traded. Delightful with a perfectly textured crunch.
- Pacari® Ecuadorian Organic Chocolate- 70% cacao, great texture from incorporated andean blueberry crunch.
- Endangered Species Organic 72% Dark Chocolate- Cranberry & almond and blueberry were tied for best flavor. (Whole Foods)
- Kopali Organics-Organic goji, cacao, mulberry, pistachio mix & Dark Chocolate covered goji berries.
- Devine Dark Chocolate- 70% delicious
- Venchi Roma Fave- Cioccolatini assortiti Assortimento A. Best tasting chocolate ever. Great balance of fresh bittersweet dark that is light and airy yet densely intense and smoky. When in Rome.
- Teuscher Dark Chocolate Sea Salted Chewy Caramel
- Indulgence Chocolatiers- Dark Chocolate Sea Salt Cocoa Mix & Bars are great. They even have s’mores kits. This is a #1.
- Madecasse Sea Salt & Nibs- Fair for Life from Africa.
- Theo Sea Salt Dark Chocolate- I love that the World Bicycle Relief is their partner too.
- Veruca Chocolates- So decadently delightful. Dark chocolate sea salt and sea salt carmel. Melt in your mouth, sorry M&M’s.
- Lake Champlain Chocolates- Spicy Aztec 57% cocoa & Dark Chocolate 70% cocoa. YUM.
- Vosges- Coconut Ash & Banana. This is the best chocolate and it is local.
- The Seriously Good Kiwiana Chocolate Co.- Made in New Zealand with Manuka honey. Super delicious. Mmm. Unique flavor and best served in a warm climate so the consistency is softer.
- Alter ECO Chocolate Truffles- Dark chocolate and sea salt are delightful. Love the good cause. It seems to make indulging more rewarding.
Dairy Free Dark Chocolate-
Boom Choco Boom, soy nut and dairy free, unfortunately they don’t list the percentage of cocoa.
Reed’s Ginger Candy Chews- Both flavors are good, however, plain is spicier and tastier. Only 3 grams of sugar per individually wrapped chewy delight.
Hot Tamarind- Super spicy, made from tamarind fruit. No added sugar or preservatives! La Flor de Jalisco Inc. Chicago, IL 60639 773-804-0913
Farmed Here AquaPonics Sweet Basil Vinaigrette- Absolutely delicious. The freshest bottled dressing in the world to my knowledge. Too high in fat due to the canola oil content.
Maya Kaimal Jalfrezi Curry- Indian simmer sauce in medium flavor. Oh so, so good.
Kimlan Sang Chau Soy- Kimlan Si Dau Loai Nhe (Light)- The best soy sauce I’ve ever encountered.
Olivaylle Estate Olive Nectar- EVOO from Australia. So fine.
Olave Organic Blend EVOO- Product of Chile, delightful.
Middle Earth Organics- Cold Pressed extra virgin olive oil from Umbria, Italy.
Mi-Del Ginger Snaps- Swedish Style, all natural, not too bad with 3g fat, 10g sugar and 4% iron in 5 cookies.
Turbana Plantain Chips- High in fat (5 grams per ounce), but also has fiber and iron. Better than chips, plus crunchier and tastier too!
Waterthins Fine Wafer Crackers Pepper & Chive- Delectable. Try not to eat the entire box. Only 400 calories if you do. :/
Basil’s Animal Snackers- 15g sugar and 10% iron. I was turned on to these animals after giving blood. They are delicious and nostalgic. They’re processed, so I would not recommend eating them everyday if you can help it. They are more of a last resort comfort food if you’re low on iron or depleted of energy, or craving childhood McDonald’s happy meal treats.
Effie’s Homemade Oatcakes (all natural) simply delicious.
Serving Size Approx. 2 pieces (34g), Amount Per Serving: Calories 180, Calories from Fat 90,Total Fat 9g (14% DV), Saturated Fat 5g (25% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholesterol 20mg (7% DV),Sodium 135mg (6% DV), Total Carbohydrate 22g (7% DV), Dietary Fiber 1g (4% DV), Sugars 7g,Protein 3g, Vitamin A (4% DV), Vitamin C (0% DV), Calcium (0% DV), Iron (6% DV).
Jacquot Classic French Truffles, Truffes Fantaisie- OMG. They are dynamite. A delicately dusted bitter sweet cocoa powder outside and a moist ,creamy, rich, melt-inside-your-mouth decadent center. No, I was not paid to write that. They are that good. AND they have 1% of you recommended daily intake of calcium. That means…eat the entire box and you’re at 9%! Not to mention the protein, and fiber you would be adding to your diet! I DO NOT recommend looking at the fat and saturated fat content after consumption. However, the sugar content is still less than pop and most fruit juices!
Seasoned Pretzels- East Shore Specialty Foods.
Cap-Ace The Finest Japanese Sake Gekkeikan
Bath, lotion, and candle specialty items -
Mr. Hyde Coffee Cream Stout by Aylamethyst- The best most delicious and natural soap Ever! Made from goat’s milk and roasted ground coffee.
A way to classify food that has more nutrients and antioxidants than most standard food. Super foods also taste great! Try adding super foods to you diet. Find out how much better you feel. Listed here are some super foods with the nutritional justification. Super food classifications are best supported by the research done to provide ANDI scores.
ANDI score on a scale from 1-1000 and are figured based on evaluating micronutrients such as: vitamins, minerals, phytochemicals, antioxident capacities, and more. The food and scores are listed below by grocery store department as developed by Whole Foods and Eat Right America.
- Mustard/ Turnip/Collard Green…1000
- Bok Choy/Baby Bok Choy…824
- Broccoli Rabe…715
- Chinese/ Napa Cabbage…704
- Brussel Sprouts…672
- Swiss Chard…670
- Bean Sprouts…444
- Red Pepper…366
- Butternut squash…156
- Red Kidney Beans…100
- Great Northern Beans…94
- Adzuki Beans…84
- Black Beans…83
- Black-Eyed Peas…82
- Pinto Beans…61
- Split Peas…58
- Chickpeas (Garbanzo)…57
Nuts and Seeds
- Sunflower Seeds…78
- Sesame Seeds…65
- Flax Seeds…65
- Pumpkin Seeds…52
- Oats, old-fashioned…53
- Barley, whole grain…43
- Wild Brown Rice…43
- Brown Rice…41
- Barley, pearled…32
- Wheat Berries…25
- Cornmeal, whole grain…22
- Bison, top sirloin…39
- Bison, chuck roast…36
- Pork tenderloin…34
- Flank Steak…27
- Chicken breast…27
- Turkey, light meat…25
- Turkey, dark meat…24
- Pork Chops…24
- Ground beef, 85%-90% lean…20-23
- Beef, top round
- Mahi Mahi…39
- Cottage Cheese, low fat…18
- Mozzarella, part skim…16
- Ricotta, part skim…16
- Mozzarella, whole milk..14
Refrigerated Dairy Case
- Nonfat Skim Milk…36
- Soy Milk…33
- plain Nonfat Yogurt…30
- Egg Substitute…30
- Egg White…29
- Low fat 1% milk…28
- Hemp Milk…27
Recipes incorporating the above recommendations:
Rejuvenating Salad – 15 minutes
Use organic produce when possible.
1/4 – 1/2 of small avocado
Ginger shavings (create by peeling with fruit and veggie peeler)
Side of steamed vegetables mixed with probiotic yogurt, salt and pepper.
Super Food Snack